Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Chicken Catcher Wins it All

Kevin Skinner . . . not a great singer . . . not even a good singer . . . but I listen to every word that comes out of his mouth, in a way that not even many of the great singers and/or songwriters can muster.

When he sings songs, I discover those songs, and pay attention to them in ways I never thought I could, or would.

Case in point -- Well, where do I begin? "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith? Overblown cheesy rock ballad in Aerosmith's hands, amazing introspective poignant song in Kevin Skinner's hands.

Shall I continue? Oh c'mon . . . you've watched the shows and the performances . . . in my "Songs I Wish I Wrote" blog, I called Kevin Skinner after his first show on "America's Got Talent" a songwriter's best friend. Honestly, I didn't think I was calling the winner at that point, I was merely pointing out that he interprets songs in a way we haven't seen for many a moon . . . I'm talkin' Dionne Warwick, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Price, and yes, even Willie Nelson and George Strait interpretations . . . no faint praise, indeed . . . but that's Kevin Skinner. A Chicken Catcher from Kentucky.

He doesn't (as far as I know) even write songs like Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Dolly Parton, and yes, I'm going there . . . Hank Williams did, but he does deliver them. He does deliver.

A Chicken Catcher catches chicken, a singer catches songs. Kevin Skinner does both.

No comments:

Post a Comment